Tuesday, January 25, 2022

John Spoon (1766-1849): A treasure discovered

One of the most significant Spoon ancestors we share is John Spoon, who was born Johannes Loffel/Loffler on July 17, 1766 in Guilford County, North Carolina. He was the first of our direct ancestors to be born in America, the son of Johannes Loffler (1722-1785) -- one of three brothers who sailed to America from Germany on separate trips in the mid-1700s.

As I began to research John, I came across a photocopy of his confirmation certificate from 1779. I have copies of both the German script and the English translation, as you can see in the attached photos. It always fascinated me to know that I had seen an original German document from one of my ancestors. I was never sure who found this certificate and if the original survived, however.

Until one day in 2013 during a research trip to North Carolina, that is.

I knew our ancestors lived in Guilford County and neighboring Alamance County, about an hour from Raleigh in a rural area of North Carolina. I had made previous trips there and found many Spoon headstones in local cemeteries. On this particular trip, I decided to make a trip to a museum in nearby Winston-Salem to see what I could find.

On a guided tour, we came into a room that had many similar certificates framed and hanging on the walls. Could I be lucky enough to find John Spoon's original certificate there, I wondered? I shared my anticipation with the group as we searched the walls, but John's certificate was nowhere to be found. Disappointed, I followed the group into the next room, which was filled with antique furniture from that time period.

As I entered, I spotted an old hope chest in the center of the room, with a spotlight shining on a framed certificate. To my amazement, it was the original John Spoon confirmation certificate! Stunned, I studied it carefully and had my photo taken with it. The tour guide had no idea how the museum acquired the certificate or why it was the one chosen for special display in that room. You talk about divine intervention ... I stopped and said a prayer of thanks, right there.

I have also visited John's grave at the Low's Lutheran Church Cemetery in Guilford County. Attached is a photo of the headstone of my gggg grandfather. I can't wait until I can return to North Carolina in search of more treasures.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ceramic pots date back to Loffler family in 1700s

On the same 2013 trip to North Carolina (see previous post), I located two beautifully preserved ceramic pieces in a display case in a museu...